Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Trainer-less Showing

Trainer-less Showing:
By: Shelby Elmore
In a sea of stalls draped with colored, trainer curtains, it’s easy to get lost in the business side of showing. There’s as much drama, turmoil, and stress as an episode of Dallas.
At a recent show that I attended, I noticed all of the trainer and breeder displays set out to advertise their show teams. One in particular caught my eye. Black curtains hung at the end of their aisle with a table of food and refreshments. Hanging on the end of a well-organized tack stall was a dry-erase board with a list of detailed feeding instructions for each horse in their group. Not unusual, right?
Looking down the aisle, I could see that this group had the entire row of stalls to themselves. There was a cooperative buzz of show preparations and last minute touch-ups. Team members were helping to fix banded manes and securing stirrups for the person about to climb on board for the next class. Everyone was happy, and no stress was apparent in their laughter and conversation.
I couldn’t help but wonder, who’s group is this? I paused at the display table and saw the words “Justus Quarter Horses.” I hadn’t heard of a trainer by the name of Justus, so I turned to my husband. Before I could ask the question, a chuckle escaped me. “Just US, oh, I get it,” I said out loud.
A childhood friend of mine happened to be stalling with this group. She was done with the trainer drama. After having bad experiences with a couple of trainers, she had finally found one that she seemed to trust enough to send her young horse to, but was showing without assistance.
I once read an article written by a trainer about how to be the “ideal client.” In the article, it gave great advice, like “Talk to your trainer if you feel neglected, or that you’re not getting your money’s worth,” and “Don’t gossip around the show ring about the trainer, since it will come back around to haunt you.”
Heck, I used to be a Cheer Mom. Gossip was rampant in that group. Why should horse show people be any different? It is after all competition. But shouldn’t an exhibitor write an article on how to be the “ideal trainer?” There seems to be a lack of structure and guidelines at times.
Some exhibitors are just sick of the bad publicity as of late. Being the BEST at all costs can net you some charges with the federal government. Animal cruelty is also a concern. Nobody wants their investment (or in my case, their “baby”) mistreated. Honesty is the main ingredient that is often lacking in the trainer-led competitive groups. Unfortunately, like in all business dealings, there is always a darker side. The few bad apples in the barrel can ruin things for the good. I know for a fact that there are still tons of great trainers out there. I’m thinking that maybe we need a “Kathy’s List” for horse trainers/breeders though.
Like many others out there, I’m not totally comfortable showing without guidance. Recently, I hooked up with an up-and-coming trainer in Tennessee for the Novice Championship Show. Tara Eubank has a simple training philosophy, “It’s just easier to just be honest with your clients.” In today’s society, honesty is a refreshing thing to be appreciated. I didn’t go out and win every class I entered at the Championship show, but I’ve learned and grown as a rider and competitor. To me, that’s getting my money’s worth.



Related posts:
  1. Many Trainers Left in the 2010 NSBA Trainer Sale
  2. NSBA Trainer Sale is Underway
  3. New Trainers Join APHA Foundation’s Find A Trainer Program

No comments:

Post a Comment